Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Interview


The Interview 
Brace yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer me. JOB 38:3, NIV
 
I wrote yesterday about an interview I’ve conducted numerous times with young men who have wanted to date our daughters. Lots of parents have asked me to share some of the things I cover when I meet with these young men. Here’s a “high fly by” list:
 
1. A woman is God’s creation, a beautiful creation, a fine creation. You’ve certainly noticed that my daughter is pretty, is attractive and has a cute figure, haven’t you?
 
2. The attraction of a young man to a young lady is both normal and good. I’m glad you like her and want to be with her. 
 
3. I understand and remember what the sex drive of a young man is like. Believe me, I’ve been there, I know what you’re dealing with. 
 
4. I’m going to hold you accountable for your relationship with my daughter. Expect me to be asking to see if you’re dealing uprightly with her. 
 
5. I’m challenging you to purity. I want you to guard her innocence, not just her virginity.
 
6. I want you to respect and uphold the dignity of my daughter by keeping your hands off of her. Keeping this one precaution in mind will help keep you from getting into further trouble.
 
7. Do you understand all of what I’ve just said to you? Are we clear on what I’m expecting and what you can expect from me? 
 
8. When you’re a dad someday, I hope you will challenge your own children to abide by these standards and will interview your daughter’s dates. My prayer is that you will never forget this conversation.
 
One of the greatest privileges God has given me is to stand alongside our four daughters and honorably and gently attempt to protect their innocence. Meeting with these young men has been one of the highlights of being a dad. 
 
DISCUSS
Dads, discuss with your wife why this can be a little awkward to do. Moms, share with your husband how it makes you feel when you see him protecting your daughter.
 
PRAY 
Pray for courage to follow through with what you know to be right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment